Sunday, October 7, 2012

Retrogaming. A Pipedream for the Stars


Throughout the past couple of decades, gamers have seen rapid changes in the video game industry. Simple game concepts have been pumped up with long, elaborate stories and better graphics, and the newer generation of gaming focuses on massive online multiplayer capabilities. Game titles such as “Assassin’s Creed” and “Call of Duty” gain massive acknowledgement and great reviews for these things, and sometimes just for the title of the game itself. I, as well as most gamers, enjoy these new developments in the gaming industry, being able to play a game that draws your attention almost as well as a movie, right alongside friends! But do you sometimes think games have become too intricate and elaborate? What I found most enjoyable about videogames was the simplicity and straightforward plot points of gaming. What happened to the appreciation for simplicity? Nintendo was one of the first major videogame manufacturers, and has grown into a huge giant in the industry. But it only took a few games in order to launch success. In this retro game review, I would like to take a look at one of the major characters that brought Nintendo success, Mario, in his first appearance on the Nintendo 64 console. Super Mario 64!

When I started off playing the game, it quickly jumped into an explanation of what was currently happening. I was informed that Bowser had stolen the sacred power stars of the castle and taken the princess hostage inside it, and that Mario must take his turtle stomping, coin collecting butt and jump into action! I enter the castle with Mario and the point of the game is to collect these stars in order to defeat Bowser. Each painting in the castle has a level inside, in which there are 7 total stars to collect, 6 based on certain goals or tasks, and 1 for collecting 100 coins. Mostly every level has a task to collect 100 coins for a star, and to collect 8 special red coins for a star. There are 15 total levels(not including secrets and Bowser fights) and the missions are unique to each level.

For example, the first level I came across in the game is the “Bob-Omb Battlefield” in which a bunch of explosive enemies called “Bob-Ombs” run wild. My first mission was to take out the King “Bob-Omb” by defeating him atop a huge summit. Upon reaching this boss battle, I realize in his speech bubbles he practically TELLS you how to defeat him. This was not just circumstantial. I soon realized playing through the game that almost all the unique level bosses tell you how to defeat them! Although this makes these parts of the game even easier, it is very helpful. The gameplay overall continues on and sometimes tends to be repetitive, although not in a bad way. It is only the concept of collecting stars that gets repetitive. For the most part, I find myself thoroughly entertained with the gameplay and believe it even has a high replay value. In fact, I am currently playing it as I’m writing this review!

However, Bowser is not the only thing terrorizing the Mushroom Kingdom. The level of difficulty in this game almost never changes! Usually difficulty adjusts as you play through a game. When I play I feel like the only real challenge is not falling into a hole or lava, because honestly the enemies in game pose no threat. Even the main battles against Bowser are only slightly more difficult! To put it simply, the only thing that really kills you in this game is yourself!

The most convenient thing about starting out this game was by far the on screen control instructions. Within seconds I knew almost every rudimentary motion and game mechanic in the game(“A” button to jump, “B” button to punch, etc.), with only a few advanced controls to be learned later in the game. The only complaint I have on the game mechanics are the camera controls, which are altered using the “C” buttons. Of course the only buttons that I need to follow my character are horribly placed on my controller, almost unreachable like the dark side of the moon! Luckily the camera will automatically adjust if given no instruction, so I got over this quickly.

The graphics in the game are very impressive for being made in 1996, where there were lots of limitations. Even with the graphics we have today, I believe that Super Mario 64 has stood up very well on its own over the years. Basic geometric shapes are apparent in the graphics of this game, but are blended well with coloring to give more of a Three dimensional look. Many of the enemies in the game are very advanced in design, including the level designs. In 2004, Nintendo made a remake of Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo DS, which only had slightly enhanced graphics over the original, in order to keep the nostalgic feel of the original, which brought a lot of success for the remake! I’m not the only one who thinks it has stood up well over the decades. Many critics back then and even today agree that Super Mario 64 is one of the best video games ever made, and after playing it time and time again I understand why!
           

Overall, I think super Mario 64 is a fantastic game that people of all ages can enjoy. This fun-filled, action-packed adventure can be experienced over and over again with the same level of excitement as the first playthrough. With the new download capabilities of the Nintendo Wii, Super Mario 64 can be enjoyed on a new gen console in its original setting, or pickup a copy of the remake on Nintendo Ds. In this retro-review, I give Super Mario 64 a rating of 9.5 out of 10. Its amazing gameplay, story, and graphics all contribute to Mario’s success, and all of Nintendo’s success! Now, it’s time for Mario to bounce. 



Corey Morabito

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the awesome simplicity of older games. They are so easy to pick up and play. I recently downloaded a game on the xbox called Limbo that is a black and white side scrolling puzzle game and it was one of the funnest games I've played. No dialog, no text, no color, but somehow I knew exactly what I was spossed to be doing and the side scrolling platformer really brought me back to the games of my childhood.

    -andrew pate

    ReplyDelete