Thursday, October 4, 2012

Our Generation: The Need for Technology

Technology is all around us, and it is always growing. You buy the latest Droid or iPhone, and in the next year there is a newer model with better features. It's the same with computers, tvs, gaming systems, etc. When the newer version of this technology comes out, you feel like you need it. If you think about your normal day, is there any time where you do not interact with technology?  At work I'm on a computer all day, and sometimes I get to play music from my iPhone.






When I get home the first thing I do is turn my tv on. Soon after that, my Playstation 3 so that I can watch a movie or play a game. If I'm watching a movie I might take out my computer and play on it until I go to bed. Even when I go to bed my tv stays on, otherwise I can't sleep. The next day I do it all over again. Not one part the day am I not around technology. Even little kids are interacting with technology all the time. At school they're on computers, and sometimes watching an educational video. Most of them already have cell phones, and you see them walking around with Nintendo DS's. No matter where you go, you will be surrounded by technology, and we feel like we need it. Can you go entire day without a computer, tv, or cell phone. It's near impossible.    


Kristin Posey

5 comments:

  1. Kids are more and more involved with technolgoy most of my 6th graders text books this year are ebooks or on jump drive and this year his school has a byod (bring your own device) policy for any wanting to use their gadgets towards education.
    Cindi Davis, DIG2000

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our culture now, but I do think that old school people can do without. I generally don't try to be too involved in technology on the weekends. My phone is always at home when I am out on the boat or beach. But people do rely on it too much. Next time you go eat at a resturant, look around and see all the people on their phones. It is amazing! People can't even sit down to eat without being on their phones.
    Chris Todd
    DIG2K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was out of country for 10 years and I am still trying to get used to the increased use of technology by most everyone. As a computer programmer for 36 years, I have been aware of the technology, but mant times after working for 10 to 12 hours on a computer at work, I just did not want to then sit behind a PC. Thus, the home PC sat dormant most of the time. I resisted the cell phone before we left, I was not that important, nor did I want to be. My phone is for my personal use not everybody else's. While my technology use has certainly increased, I can still unplug and not fret about it.

    Maryellen Bailey
    Dig2000

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely hard to stay off of technology sometimes. I sometimes find myself checking Facebook on my computer, then five minutes later checking it on my phone, and not because I was having a conversation with someone, but just because I was bored. I also find myself watching videos that are just dumb on YouTube out of sheer boredom. I think that perhaps the reason most people are on technology all the time is because they're bored, and the different technology that is present in our society is sleek and fast, making it more attractive to play on our phones or other devices instead of, say, reading a book or developing a skill.

    -Megan Commings

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is straight forward and well written. I did a term paper on our generations dependency on technology for simple everyday tasks and this article reminded me of a lot of point I made. I agree as soon as we get home we cling to the nearest piece of technology. Well done. :)


    Corey Morabito

    ReplyDelete