Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Google Maps


Google Maps is a wonderful web mapping service that offers street maps from all over the world. It is a great tool to use when planning a long trip or even to just find the location of a business in town. You can "drive" up and down the streets of different states, cities and towns. I had not been back to my home town in many years but was able to bring back many memories with the use of Google Maps. There have been many changes in the town I grew up in and I was able to take a virtual drive and see the house I grew up in and the high school I graduated from. My husband is from Hawaii and we have "driven" the streets of Hawaii so he can show me places where he used to hang out. The maps are not always accurate because there may have been construction since the maps were made.


There are many places where you are not able to "drive" the streets of a city but are able to view a map of them. It is possible to see the streets in Dubai and zoom in to see the beautiful buildings.



Google Maps has recently helped a man find his family who he was separated from when he was only 5 yrs old. Saroo Munshi Khan was at a train station with his brother and they became separated. Saroo was taken in by a family lived in Australia. Twenty years later, with the aid of Google Maps, and his hazy memory, Saroo was able to find his birth home. Following is the link to Saroo's story that was published in Vanity Fair.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/11/india-orphan-google-earth-journey

So, if you are ever stuck at home and bored, just log on and take a virtual drive around town or in another state. You never know what you might see and decide to plan a real trip someday.

Patricia Holzman

2 comments:

  1. It's crazy the amount of technology we have at our disposal! I am going to go check this out right now, I'd like to see the changes where i grew up. Thanks!
    Jonathon Muszynski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Maps is a truly great product of the Information age. It's gotten me to and from many locations, and it's free! Nice article Patricia, I really liked the part about Saroo Khan
    Gavin Young

    ReplyDelete