Friday, December 7, 2012

DeviantART

   
     At first I would sometimes skim over to DeviantArt, not being really all that interested of the site to begin with. But now, after actually paying attention to what the site has to offer, I can see why it is the largest online art community in the world. Its like a big social networking site, where artists and art enthusiasts alike can come together to proudly feature and view art of all forms.
 
     Deviant Art was launched on August 7, 2000 by Angelo Sotira, Matthew Stephens and Scott Jarkoff (Scott Jarkoff being terminated from DeviantArt due to some legal issues) and since then, it has been very popular. Today DeviantArt has what is now over 24 million registered artists and over 241 million pieces of art. Searching has been improved since when I first visited the site and artists have the option to sell there art/products and acquire some advantages and benefits through premium memberships. Also to note, videos can also be uploaded to DeviantArt.

     It is really nice to see all the art that's in here for example the one to the left was one I thought was really good. With over 241 million pieces of art, the number increasing by the day, it does serve as quite the gallery. DeviantArt houses a variety of art that ranges from digital art, traditional art, and photography to film and animation, flash, cartoons, and comics. Design challenges and community projects and the list goes on.

   I for one have found myself using the site more and more to share with friends and family. Even using some of the art on the site as a bit of a motivator for me, though, it does have its problems (few from what I can see), such as with ads and whatnot, probably having to go premium to get rid of the ads. But overall DeviantArt is a very well developed site and is a good starting point for those that are first time artists. It features contests, feedback from other artists and enthusiasts, customizable profiles, and the use of its personal shop "Prints Shop" where , as I said, people can sell there art/products. Not only that, Prints Shop has a group tab where it features other sites that can show an artist's artwork and help them get noticed.

http://www.deviantart.com

Written By: Mauricio Schebesch


   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this overview of this well developed site. My only encounter with DeviantART occurred when a Google Images search led me there. A lot of the art was beautiful, but I thought that the site's only draw was that it allows people to visit a single large compendium of art all in a single resource. I had never realized how it could also become a springboard for aspiring artists. I never thought of the fact that the site not only benefits viewers looking for moving art, but also the artists themselves. I now have a deeper appreciation for this site. Thank you for the information.

    -Ashlen

    ReplyDelete