Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cyber Monday vs. Black Friday


If you've ever gone Black Friday shopping or had the pleasure of turning on the news during or after Black Friday, then you know how chaotic it is. It's a time of great deals if you're willing to risk your life in the process. Every year people are stabbed, bitten, beaten, or even shot during this pre-Christmas rush for discounted items. In this type of economy it's understandable that a person might want to get really awesome stuff for as much as even 70% off, but, is it worth losing a finger over?
The internet has given us a great alternative to this battle for good deals and there's no threat of anyone pointing a gun at you for getting the last Furby! Cyber Monday is an event that takes place on the first Monday after Black Friday. Many large corporations participate such as GameStop, Target, Sears, Best Buy, etc. and independent shop owners such as people with shops on Etsy. Not only do you have the ability to get that super cool laptop you've been wanting at a discount but you also don't have to camp outside over night to get it. 
       Cyber Monday this year attracted attention by pulling in record sales while Black Friday brought attention to itself by the number of angry gun-wielding shoppers it attracted. I'd say when choosing between a great deal, a night of sleep, and getting to do your shopping from the comfort of your own home and going out for essentially a fist fight at 5 AM, the choice is really quite clear. Cyber Monday is giving us a chance to part ways with this somewhat barbaric holiday and hopefully enough people begin participating in this online event that eventually we can do away with Black Friday. Black Friday isn't just a threat towards the crazed shoppers, there have been many instances of employ injuries and fatalities over the years, which is just one more reason to side with Cyber Monday. So think of the poor retail workers and for your own safety, shop on Cyber Monday and spare yourself the hospital visit.  

           
           -Hollie Adams

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand why people go out and battle the crowds when you can just sit at home and reap all the benefits. Even on Thursday I was able to get some great deals.

    - Dylan Bertram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog!!! You framed the arguement well, plus up until now you didn't have to pay sales tax on online sells. But of course our gov't figured out another way to squeeze money out of us.

    Christopher Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollie, your blog was put together nicely and extremely insightful!!! I agree with you, shopping with the herds on Black Friday is truly barbaric. Most stores only offer up a handful of the absolute great deals anyway!!! I do agree with you Hollie that Cyber Monday is a better option...but how about this as a solution--shop before or after that crazy week :-) Great job on the Blog!!!

    Melvin Pitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually go to stores later on on Black Friday just to see what is trending: what is selling quickly and what is not. It's like crawling into the minds of marketers sometimes, as well. Why did all the stores put these same items on sale? However, I generally turn to the computer for shopping. You are right. It is just that much more convenient and comfortable. I definitely know how chaotic Bacl Friday can be. People's morals fly out the window. I was hardly able to participate last year because I could not fit my wheelchair anywhere, so everyone got to the items and deals more quickly than I was able to. It was grossly unfair and infuriating. I have found great deals online, but usually not particularly on Cyber Monday. I found deals on Cyber Monday, but nothing I was interested in. It was not particularly exciting to me this year. I just ended up purchasing the items I needed at a better price as I would any other time. Maybe I have not figures out how to take advantage of Cyber Monday. I still agree that there really is no reason to camp out and injure each other over in store deals. It is a sad American tradition that tells of our intense materialism.

    -Ashlen McWhorter

    ReplyDelete