Friday, September 13, 2013

Motorcycle Safety Awareness

Highway Safety Responsibilities we all have as users of the roadways.


Every motorist and motorcyclist alike should always “share the road” conscientiously and courteously to help prevent motorcycle crashes which remain one of the most prevalent causes of death and injury on Panama City and Panama City Beach Florida roadways and across the nation.


Motorcyclists are about 30 times more likely to die in a crash than passenger vehicle occupants according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA, whether you are driving the family sedan, an SUV, a school bus, a delivery van, or an 18-wheeler, drivers should always be on
the lookout for motorcyclists.


Drivers must be aware that a motorcycle, is one of the smallest of vehicles on the road, and can be “hiding” in your vehicle’s blind spots. Always check blind spots, use mirrors and signal before changing lanes or making turns.


Motorcyclists have responsibilities too. All motorcycle riders should obey all traffic laws and be properly licensed, alert to other drivers, be as conspicuous as possible at all times, never ride impaired, distracted, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, additionally riders should always wear a Department of Transportation compliant helmet (DOT) marking on helmet and other protective gear or protective clothing. Riding smart and riding safe are the motorcyclists operators greatest responsibility and even more so if you have a passenger on the back seat if your motorcycle is so equipped.


Do Remember, a motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle. The person under that helmet could be a mother, brother, doctor, college professor, or friend.
Do Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width - never try to share a lane.
Do Perform a regular visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or exiting a lane of traffic, and at intersections.
Do Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
Do Allow more following distance - three or four seconds - when behind a motorcycle to give the motorcyclist time to maneuver around obstacles in the roadway, or stop in an emergency.


Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling like cars or trucks and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;


All Motorcyclists can increase their safety by:
1. Wearing a DOT-compliant helmet.
2. Using turn signals for every turn or lane change, even if the rider thinks no one will see it.
3. Signaling intentions by combining hand signals and turn signals to draw more attention to themselves.
4. Wearing brightly colored protective gear, and using reflective tape and stickers to increase being conspicuous and readily seen. Fluorescent green, yellow, and orange are excellent colors for increased visibility.
5. Positioning themselves in the lane where they will be most visible to other drivers;
6. Never riding while impaired.


The message to all drivers and motorcyclists is to help to share in the responsibility of keeping all road users safe, and do your part by safely sharing the road. Watch for motorcycles they are everywhere!
WARNING: Don't ever ride like the dangerous riders in this video.
Cary Deeter Sr.

4 comments:

  1. Having rode for a few years myself, I can relate to your post. Its both the riders' and other cars' responsibility to share the road and be aware of your surroundings. I no longer ride, partly due to breaking my foot (not motorcycle related ) so I sold my bike, but also partly due to the fact that I have lost 3 good friends in the past 3 years due to motorcylce accidents. I actually stunted motorcycles for a little while, never on a public road and always protected head to toe. I noticed alot of unsafe people stunting on public roadways in your video, there's a time and place for that, and it's not on public roadways. Good Blog!
    J.D. Muszynski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cary,

    First, great job on the blog post, and second thanks for sharing such an important issue. It seems like when accidents happen the public is more aware of motorcycles, but when all is quiet, the awareness can diminish. I think people in general are distracted when they are driving so some of the newer features for safety like the pulsing headlight is helpful.

    Karen Bellman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think bikes are cool, however I feel safer in my truck.

    Poasted By James T Parsons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that feeling and it is mutual. I too feel safer in my truck or car however the most exciting and enjoyable mode of travel for me is my bike. The feeling of freedom, the open road with the sounds, smells, and sights of nature and man are what have always driven me onward in my riding. I thouroughly enjoy the long 300, 500, 1500, and 2500 mile trips with likeminded friends and we do lots of them. In fact I'm heading out to a 4 day excursion mid month and another one the end of the month. Riding is like breathing to me. I've been riding 48 years now so I guess there's no hope of reforming me. I'm a biker and love it!

      Delete