Monday, November 19, 2012

Internet Fame

Over the seven years that I’ve actively used the internet, I’m always surprised by what kind of creative things people come up with. From online news networks, video streamers, and bloggers to 2D and 3D animators, recent software development has made it easy for regular people to create extraordinary projects. The glorious thing about the internet is that it brings all these great projects and ideas together for everyone to see and even participate sometimes. Throughout the years, these are a few of the projects that I’ve seen gain a lot of popularity.
A large number of YouTube users are subscribed to channels showing with Let’s Play’s, or LP’s. A “Let’s Play” is a recorded video game walkthrough with commentary and is normally seen as a source of help for people stuck in a game. Let’s Play’s were a bit different for me however since I enjoy watching people play games as much as I do playing them myself. I can’t be the only person who feels that way because many popular Let’s Players (the people who make the videos) have thousands of followers. Successful LPers have so many fans that video game companies sometimes send them new games to advertise for products and make a living off of their videos. Let’s Playing has exploded in popularity since there are hundreds of LPers on the web and people never fail to subscribe to them.
With the advent of hundreds of music making software, underground musicians are pumping out hits in full force. I’m impressed with a lot of the original beats, samples, and remixes that are being made at a fever’s pace. One of my favorite artists uploads at least 2 new beats a week to YouTube and all of it is free for download.
Lastly, I’ve seen hundreds of web shows and vlogs posted online and lots of them have very interesting and fun content. For instance, The Angry Joe Show specifically deals with in-depth video game and movie reviews and adds a lot of personality into each episode. K-News with Knightwing01 is a short show that talks about the latest news in video games, movies, TV, and technology. Other news shows such as The Philip DeFranco Show and Tobuscus garner massive support throughout the internet. Another great way I’ve seen people show off their creativity is by creating their own games and animating little videos or full-blown series. Sprite fights, made by sequencing computer graphics frame by frame, exhibit some of my favorite 2D creations. I’ve also known several people have made original, albeit low budget, video games online or have made hacks for an existing one.
In this day and age, people’s ability to create something is only limited by their imagination; the tools to express yourself are out there. Whether you aspire to a degree of fame or simply want to make something to be proud of, you really can if you look. Take my word for it; thousands of people are doing so at this very moment.
-Christopher Oxley

1 comment:

  1. I agree that YouTube has had a huge impact on today's society. With countless tutorial videos of how to play a song on the piano to like you said, how to win a certain level on a video game, YouTube is practically endless when it comes to what kind of videos it offers. I just wish that they would do something with the amount of adds that they are starting to show. Before, they did not seem to bother me. But now it just seems like they come on every video that I want to watch. I understand that the adds are what gives them money, but could they just drop it a notch? Please???
    -Kendall Fagan

    ReplyDelete