Monday, September 20, 2010

Re: Reflections of a tragic day

September 11th is a day that our nation will not soon forget. The catastrophic events that took place on 911, which also happens to be the emergency hotline number affected many people and changed the way our country looks at national security. The calculated attacks in my opinion were a cowardly act of violence and war on innocent civilians and U.S. soil.

This incident affected me personally. I worked at the World Trade Center in tower one for many years on the 86th floor of the north side. The building was an amazing architechitural achievement, that soon became the landmark for New York City, replacing the cities other skyscraper, the Empire State Building.

We are all familiar with the events, incidents and lives that were changed on that historic day, instead of reflecting on the negative, i'd like to reflect on the positive and mention a few points about the benefits of working or just visiting the World Trade Center.

On a clear day one could venture up to the observation deck and view the entire city and surrounding areas such as Staten Island, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Long Island, and New Jersey, the Hudson and East Rivers and the George Washington Bridge, Gothals Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge and much more, the views were breathtaking.

The Windows of the World restaurant, featured a sign that simply stated, "welcome to windows of the world, the closest some of us will ever get to heaven", located one hundred and ten stories above the sounds of busy traffic, busses, trains, and the rush hour commute that was eliminated and replaced by soothing jazz piano, and the aroma of top notch chef's preparing gourmet meals, and the subtle sounds of two wine glasses clicking together as a couple sat in the plush chairs at cozy little table near a window facing fith avenue. It was a lovely peaceful and relaxing  place. The restroom facilities, walls and floor were pink italian marble, with solid brass accents, you were always greeted by an attendant who made sure everything about you was in place before you walked out.

 The main lobby and each skylobby had large chandeliers adorning the ceilings and all elevator doors were a mirrored stainless steel, except the excecutive directors doors, those elevator doors were brass. This type of detail was evident throughout all seven World Trade Center buildings and the ajoining Visita International Hotel. The out side of the World Trade Center was covered in stone granite and manicured hedges, plants fresh flowers along with large waterfalls and sculptured statues and art were placed around the pavillion. There was a shopping center, a mall, barbershops, hair salons and tons of restaurants on the main lobby. Anything and everything was available at the twin towers including enough parking space to accomodate a large bi-state agency and commercial trading for every country in the world. 8 underground parking floors were sufficient.

The windows were 6 feet long and twelve inches wide to prevent suicide attempts, the office layouts were immaculate and the furniture was extravagant. The executive directors office and the secretary's office were the plushest of them all, with cushy carpeting and all the comforts of home. The large board room featured a lounge that surrounded the huge conference table and large high back office chairs, seperated by an oval tinted glass.

The year was 1993, I was on my way to work like any onther day. Except today the weather was gloomy, grey skies and wind accompinied by a rainy mist. I got aboard the number 2 train in the south bronx and headed to Manhattan. I exit the the number 2 train express at Chambers St, and cross the platform to the awaiting number 1 local. I ride this train for one stop and exit underground to enter the lobby of the concourse of the World Trade Center Plaza.

Greetings for all the people that I see everyday and I catch an elevator to the 44th floor skylobby. The elevator moves at 17 to 27 mph upwards, slower on windy days, I cross the skylobby and get another elevator to the 86th floor. Exit and arrive at 86th North. Like each morning I have my hot chocolate, coffee, bagel or donut and begin my work and later its time for lunch, I meet my Dad at the skylobby and we go to the cafeteria order lunch and eat over some conversation, then its back to the office for four more hours of work.

Its been pretty windy today and the WTC was built to sway back and forth during such conditions. I can hear the joints stretching and contracting as the wind pushes againts the two towers, I notice the mobiles hanging from the cieling also sway and turn, I personally can't feel the swaying but I can see it all around me, especially in a glass of water on the desk, or the water splashing side to side in a sink or toilet, when I see this I know the builing is moving alot.

more to come..........

2 comments:

  1. I never got the chance to see the WTC and by your discriptions I really missed alot. You always hear stories about that day & even though it surely was a sad day I wish people would share their "good" memories of the WTC. Right now when you hear "the WTC" you picture death & even though that day will NEVER be forgotten (it shouldn't be) I feel like it's time to put another picture behind those words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sentiments. The memories of the trade center are still very vivid and endearing to me. Im sure theres a site that has photos of the WTC and its architectural beauty. When I find one i'll attach a link.

    ReplyDelete